UPDATE, 6:24 p.m.
An official statement was issued by the Virginia State Police on the helicopter crash:
"Shortly before 5 p.m. (Saturday), a helicopter crashed into a wooded area near a residence on Old Farm Road. There are two confirmed fatalities. No one on the ground was injured. The cause of the crash remains under investigation at this time. State police are on the scene with Albemarle County police and fire units.
"More information will be released as it becomes available."
Several media sources including the Daily Progress are reporting that a Virginia State Police helicopter has crashed in Charlottesville following a day of deadly rioting.
A VSP spokesperson told News 5 that she could not confirm fatalities at this point but did say "it is a sad day for our unit."
Other reports are saying the chopper went down near the Birdwood Golf Course and there were two fatalities. The Federal Aviation Administration said the crash was 7 miles southwest of the city and two people were onboard.
- Updated UPDATE: Judge Pomrenke wants subpoenas from commission quashed in federal case
- Ex-TN sheriff sentenced to about 3 years for sex with inmates
- Tiger Woods, Lindsey Vonn among victims in nude photo hack
- UPDATE: Church Hill man indicted for January murder of wife
- Updated UPDATE: Park rangers said lost teen was moving target in Smoky Mtns.