There are now new visitation rules for the Virginia Department of Corrections.
We've learned officials hope the new rules will improve security, consistency, and visitor flow.
The Department of Corrections says anyone approved to visit inmates in 2013 will not have to reapply until 2016.
Officials say applications will now be processed at department headquarters in Richmond instead of at each individual facility.
Changes also include limiting visits to only one inmate, unless the inmates are immediate family members.
The new rules become effective for visits after January 1, 2014.
- Five people running for three seats on Johnson City Commission
- Weighing options for ambulance services in Hawkins County
- Animal shelter needs help with overcrowding, charging less for adoption
- Local firefighters had rare opportunity to train in a real life setting
- Tri Cities Regional Airport celebrates completion of construction