There are now new visitation rules for the Virginia Department of Corrections.
We've learned officials hope the new rules will improve security, consistency, and visitor flow.
The Department of Corrections says anyone approved to visit inmates in 2013 will not have to reapply until 2016.
Officials say applications will now be processed at department headquarters in Richmond instead of at each individual facility.
Changes also include limiting visits to only one inmate, unless the inmates are immediate family members.
The new rules become effective for visits after January 1, 2014.
- Johnson City woman forces her way into occupied motel room
- Lightening strikes BVU sub station in North Bristol, 3,700 customers without power
- Thousands of flags placed on veterans' graves for Memorial day
- Foreign suspect sends bomb threat by fax to Meadowview Center in Kingsport
- Elizabethton Police investigating toddler's death