Old Dominion Power Company is asking Virginia regulators to increase its rates to its nearly 30,000 customers in the state's southwest corner.
The electric utility is proposing to increase its rates by more than 9 percent in order to recover the costs associated with improving service and reliability.
If approved, the increase will not occur until January 1, 2014.
The company's customers are located in the counties of Wise, Lee, Russell, Scott and Dickenson.
- Sheriff confirms murder in Unicoi County, TN
- School officials, parents discuss future of Weaver Elementary
- Unicoi County woman charged with first degree murder in Monday stabbing incident
- Bristol, TN taking steps to use drones in fire and police operations
- Trump supporters and protesters rally in downtown Abingdon