Old Dominion Power Company is asking Virginia regulators to increase its rates to its nearly 30,000 customers in the state's southwest corner.
The electric utility is proposing to increase its rates by more than 9 percent in order to recover the costs associated with improving service and reliability.
If approved, the increase will not occur until January 1, 2014.
The company's customers are located in the counties of Wise, Lee, Russell, Scott and Dickenson.
- New Serial burglar guilty of costly raid at Simon Cowell's home
- New Pedestrian killed trying to cross interstate in Asheville
- Trial date set for Sullivan County man charged with child sex crimes
- Man sentenced after trying to bring meth to Lee County inmates
- Supreme Court may strike law barring sex offenders from social media