Old Dominion Power Company is asking Virginia regulators to increase its rates to its nearly 30,000 customers in the state's southwest corner.
The electric utility is proposing to increase its rates by more than 9 percent in order to recover the costs associated with improving service and reliability.
If approved, the increase will not occur until January 1, 2014.
The company's customers are located in the counties of Wise, Lee, Russell, Scott and Dickenson.
- VA Coal and Energy Alliance Conference: Industry leaders optimistic about coal rebound
- McAuliffe announces millions for 'green' overhaul in Russell Co. Schools
- UPDATE: Former regional jail guards indicted for contraband, bribes
- Letter: Flynn cites 'public frenzy,' invokes 5th Amendment
- Bristol Spruce-Up: Deadline approaching for Neighborhood Grant program