A middle school student has been arrested after authorities say they found explosives in his school locker.
The Virginian-Pilot reports (http://bit.ly/2pvUKFN) that the Virginia Beach Fire Department said in a release on Tuesday that the 13-year-old student was taken into custody Friday. The juvenile is charged with two counts of manufacturing and possessing chemical explosive devices. The teen is a student at Landstown Middle School.
Macie Allen, a spokeswoman for the commonwealth's attorney, says school administrators received a report about the suspicious material and immediately contacted the school's resource officer.
Fire officials say investigators have found no evidence thus far that would lead them to believe the teen had malicious intent.
The student also faces disciplinary action from the school. It's unclear if the teen has an attorney.
(Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Smyth County animal shelter temporarily shutting down
- Kingsport Police arrest man wanted in multiple cities
- Scott County students receive shoes and socks from Rotary Club Shoe Fund
- Union's James Mitchell commits to Virginia Tech
- Sullivan County dispatcher honored for successful baby delivery over the phone