WASHINGTON COUNTY, Va. - We have new details on a 5-car crash on Interstate 81 Friday night. Virginia State police tell us they've charged the driver of the truck carrying a race car, Gregory Boyd out of Wheelwright, Kentucky, with Failure To Secure Load.
Friday night, five cars crashed on I-81 North-bound near mile-marker 33, when Boyd's race car fell off his truck traveling South-bound, flipped over the median, and landed in oncoming lanes.
Trooper Ron Hughes tells us if a tractor trailer hadn't swerved to the right missing the race car, the accident could have been much worse, "He [tractor trailer driver] wouldn't have been able to stop in time. He would have hit the truck and the two people in the truck would have been killed, he would have run over the top of the vehicle if he hadn't made an evasive action to miss them."
Two people were injured and taken by helicopter to Bristol Regional Medical Center. Trooper Hughes says both were rushed into surgery Friday night.
- Haslam signs bill reducing costs of wiping criminal records
- Ceremony honors female veterans at Mountain Home National Cemetery
- Johnson City Memorial Day ceremony goes off without hitch, despite stolen flags
- Mountain Home National Cemetery honoring fallen service members on Memorial Day
- Free meals for children in Kingsport begin Tuesday