WASHINGTON COUNTY, Va. - We have new details on a 5-car crash on Interstate 81 Friday night. Virginia State police tell us they've charged the driver of the truck carrying a race car, Gregory Boyd out of Wheelwright, Kentucky, with Failure To Secure Load.
Friday night, five cars crashed on I-81 North-bound near mile-marker 33, when Boyd's race car fell off his truck traveling South-bound, flipped over the median, and landed in oncoming lanes.
Trooper Ron Hughes tells us if a tractor trailer hadn't swerved to the right missing the race car, the accident could have been much worse, "He [tractor trailer driver] wouldn't have been able to stop in time. He would have hit the truck and the two people in the truck would have been killed, he would have run over the top of the vehicle if he hadn't made an evasive action to miss them."
Two people were injured and taken by helicopter to Bristol Regional Medical Center. Trooper Hughes says both were rushed into surgery Friday night.
- Johnson City man found guilty of second degree murder
- Five people running for three seats on Johnson City Commission
- Weighing options for ambulance services in Hawkins County
- Animal shelter needs help with overcrowding, charging less for adoption
- Local firefighters had rare opportunity to train in a real life setting