ABINGDON, VA - People Incorporated is celebrating its 50th anniversary by renaming a couple of its building.
The Abingdon headquarters is being named after the organization's founding executive director, Garland Thayer.
They are also naming another building after board members Fount and Thelma Henderson.
New Five talked to People Incorporated's current president and CEO, Robert Goldsmith, about the differences they make in the community.
"I''m thinking right now about a young man who i went to school with his parents, and they didn't finish high school. He finished high school, he worked in our youth programs, he participated in a college access program that we had, he graduated from college and has been teaching in the public schools for over 20 years."
People Incorporated got started in 1964 as the Hayters Gap Community Club before being renamed in 1974.
- Cabela's preps for sidewalk party, giveaways ahead of Black Friday
- Hunger First feeds needy Thanksgiving dinner; asking for winter clothing donations
- State parks urging people to "Opt Outside" Black Friday
- 12th annual Johnson City Turkey Trot: largest turnout to date
- 'People Loving People' Thanksgiving meal serves thousands