VIRGINIA - Admissions at mental health facilities have spiked following the high profile suicide of a Virginia State Senator's son.
Mental health and state officials told the governor's mental health task force they did not know how long the surge would last.
Western State Hospital in Staunton had admitted 23 people under temporary detention orders since January first....that's up from six admissions in the previous six months.
In November, Gus Deeds attacked his father Senator Creigh Deeds, and then killed himself at their home in Bath County after being released from custody because no psychiatric bed could be found.
- Updated Kingsport City Schools unveils new DB Excel facility
- Updated Northeast State Student Veterans of America raising awareness about veteran suicides
- New Bluff City Rescue launches 'Buck for a Truck' campaign
- New Grant deadline approaches to expand Birthplace of Country Music Museum
- Women's Facebook warning goes viral