WASHINGTON COUNTY, Va. - Sheriff Fred Newman tells News 5 that in Washington County, Virginia a man is in jail charged with armed robbery after an incident at a T.J. Maxx store.
Newman says the suspect tried to steal items from T.J. Maxx in the Highlands Shopping Center on Lee Highway.
The incident happened around 3 p.m. Sunday afternoon.
Newman says 23-year-old Rusty Potter was attempting to steal men's undergarments when he was approached by a T.J. Maxx loss prevention employee.
Deputies say that's when potter pulled out a six-inch knife and ran from the store.
Potter was found three hours later after a search involving K9 units and the Virginia State Police helicopter.
Potter is charged with armed robbery and in jail without bond.
He's in jail without bond.
- Bristol, Va. firefighters post billboards ahead of public hearing
- Two boys charged with reckless burning in Kingsport IGA fire
- Instantly healing technology tested on human in Kingsport
- Union High School Marching Bears performing in National Memorial Day Parade
- Red Onion inmate, D.C. sniper teen could get new trial