GALAX, Va. - Virginia State Police say three people have been killed and more than 20 are injured following a 95-vehicle pileup on Interstate 77 near the Virginia-North Carolina border.
The Virginia Department of Transportation says traffic is backed up about 8 miles.
State police say a series of wrecks began around 1:15 p.m. Sunday in the southbound lanes in the area of Fancy Gap Mountain in southwest Virginia. There was heavy fog at the time.
State police spokeswoman Corinne Geller says several vehicles caught fire, but the blazed has been put out.
The interstate is closed in both directions. Northbound lanes are closed so emergency vehicles can get to the southbound lanes.
Interstate 77 has since reopened in both directions.
- IN LIKE A LION: Potential for strong storms on Wednesday
- BMS and Buffalo Wild Wings host Daytona 500 watch parties in the Tri-Cities
- Police say man on drugs led officials on hour-long chase in Johnson City
- Police: Car plows into parade crowd in New Orleans; 12 hurt
- VA Gubernatorial Candidate campaigning in Southwest Virginia