GALAX, Va. - Virginia State Police say three people have been killed and more than 20 are injured following a 95-vehicle pileup on Interstate 77 near the Virginia-North Carolina border.
The Virginia Department of Transportation says traffic is backed up about 8 miles.
State police say a series of wrecks began around 1:15 p.m. Sunday in the southbound lanes in the area of Fancy Gap Mountain in southwest Virginia. There was heavy fog at the time.
State police spokeswoman Corinne Geller says several vehicles caught fire, but the blazed has been put out.
The interstate is closed in both directions. Northbound lanes are closed so emergency vehicles can get to the southbound lanes.
Interstate 77 has since reopened in both directions.
- Rabies vaccinations offered in Southwest Virginia
- Sports injury seminar aimed to teach coaches how to keep athletes healthy
- Children given free winter coats at the 17th annual Coats For Kids
- Unusual investigation leads to arrest of Bristol, Va. man
- Local agencies participating in National Drug Take-Back Day