RICHMOND, Va. - On Monday, the Virginia Lottery, along with its partners at the Virginia PTA and The Supply Room Companies opened nominations for the 7th annual Super Teacher Awards.
This program celebrates the heroes of education by recognizing their dedication and commitment to students by consistently going the extra mile to inspire.
"The Virginia Lottery has a long-standing commitment to education in the Commonwealth with more than $6 billion generated for education since 1999," said Virginia Lottery Executive Director Paula Otto.
Since 2008, the Super Teacher program has honored 48 of Virginia's finest teachers.
This year, eight more Super Teachers will receive a $2,000 cash prize from the Virginia Lottery and a $2,000 classroom supply credit from The Supply Room Companies. In addition to the wonderful classroom supplies and cash prizes, this year one lucky Virginia Lottery Super Teacher will also win a vacation valued at $5,000.
The 2014 Super Teachers will be selected by a panel of distinguished educators and community leaders, including:
* Dr. Jo Lynne DeMary, former State Superintendent for Public Instruction
* The Honorable James W. Dyke, former Virginia Secretary of Education
* Dr. Martha Ross, professor emerita, James Madison University
* Brenda Sheridan, president of the Virginia Parent Teacher Association
* John Bennett, 2013 Super Teacher from Mary Munford Elementary School in Richmond
Anyone 18 or older can nominate a K-12 Virginia public school teacher at http://vasuperteacher.com/.
Nominations must be received by February 14, 2014.
Winners will be announced in spring 2014 in each winning teacher's hometown through a surprise presentation.
- UPDATE: Item on Tweetsie Trail was geocaching box; trail to reopen
- UPDATE: Greene Co. Sheriff says missing teen could be in N.C.
- Updated Attorney for Black Lives Matter rally crasher issues statement
- New Man arrested for stabbing in Wise County
- Updated Highway Patrol to go door-to-door in I-81 shooter investigation