VIRGINIA - Two local teachers are $25,000 richer tonight. They were surprised at a ceremony tonight to win one of the largest teaching awards in the country, The McGlothlin Awards for Teaching Excellence. Each winner must use $10,000 of the prize to travel abroad and bring those experiences back to their students.
Art teacher Steven Cregger won in the elementary category. Cregger, from high point elementary in Washington County, Virginia, will travel to Europe to study the classical masterpieces.
The secondary education winner is eighth grade teacher Susan Hampton from Virginia Middle School in Bristol, Virginia. She will travel to Finland, Denmark, Australia and New Zealand to study their educational philosophy and techniques.
The award comes from the McGlothlin Foundation... A Bristol Virginia based non-profit.
- Four charged in Church Hill home invasion case
- FTC warns there would be 'significant risk' if MSHA, Wellmont merger is approved
- Suspected Bristol bank robber waives preliminary hearing
- Justin Timberlake on Tenn. voting controversy: "I had no idea."
- Updated MLB commish says he plans to meet with Indians owner on logo