LEE COUNTY, Va. - We have a developing story at this hour -- the Virginia State Police tell News 5 they're investigating a shooting and apparent suicide in Lee County.
Police say the first shooting happened about two to three miles away from Lee High School around 2:30 p.m. The two male subjects were in the woods and that's when police say the suspect shot the other man in the upper torso.
The victim was was transported to Lee Regional Medical Center. We're told he's in stable condition.
About an hour later the suspect left the scene and went in his car to the high school parking lot. We're told he shot himself as deputies approached his vehicle.
Police stress this is a non-school related incident.
We'll bring you more facts on this story as they are available.
- ETSU student charged following gorilla mask incident at Black Lives Matter protest
- Carter County deputy, former 'Southern Justice' star, charged with murder
- ETSU administration quickly organizes meeting to start conversations about race
- Recovery action walk raises awareness in Wise County
- Police searching for kidnapping suspect