BRISTOL, Va. - BRISTOL— The Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) reports motorists may encounter slick travel conditions in some areas of southwestern Virginia this morning.
Be alert to snow-covered primary and secondary highways in Bland, Wise and Russell counties. Anticipate snow and ice patches on the majority of highways in Dickenson, Buchanan and Tazewell counties.
Interstate highways and most roads in Washington, Grayson, Smyth, Wythe, Lee and Scott counties are clear but wet.
VDOT reminds drivers to use caution in winter weather, and;
- Check current weather, road conditions and traffic before traveling
- Slow down and allow for extra time to reach your destination
- Keep a safe distance of at least five seconds behind other vehicles, particularly trucks treating the road
- Be aware of potentially icy areas such as shady spots, bridges and overpasses
Get the latest road conditions at www.511virginia.org or by downloading the 511 mobile app.
View the entire list of roads closed due to the storm, sortable by county, at http://www.511virginia.org/mobile/?menu_id=conditions.
Receive real-time southwestern Virginia traffic updates on Twitter by following @511southwestva. For general VDOT information, follow @VaDOT. Follow VDOT throughout the storm at www.facebook.com/VirginiaDOT.
Report downed trees and hazardous road conditions to 1-800-367-ROAD (1-800-367-7623). (END)
- Rabies vaccinations offered in Southwest Virginia
- Sports injury seminar aimed to teach coaches how to keep athletes healthy
- Children given free winter coats at the 17th annual Coats For Kids
- Unusual investigation leads to arrest of Bristol, Va. man
- Local agencies participating in National Drug Take-Back Day