Former Virginia governors Democrat Tim Kaine and Republican George Allen ran a heated and close senatorial campaign for months.
Kaine defeated Allen Tuesday night to replace Jim Webb in the US.. Senate.
Kaine left his job as National Democratic Party chairman to run for the seat. Allen was trying to reclaim the Senate seat he lost to Webb in 2006.
Another big race in Virginia included the 9th District race for the U.S. House of Representatives.
Incumbent Morgan Griffith won the seat against challenger Anthony Flaccavento.
- Kidnapping suspect still on the run, after statewide AMBER Alert is canceled
- Lightning strikes BVU sub station in North Bristol, 3,700 customers without power
- Johnson City woman forces her way into occupied motel room
- Thousands of flags placed on veterans' graves for Memorial day
- Foreign suspect sends bomb threat by fax to Meadowview Center in Kingsport