Former Virginia governors Democrat Tim Kaine and Republican George Allen ran a heated and close senatorial campaign for months.
Kaine defeated Allen Tuesday night to replace Jim Webb in the US.. Senate.
Kaine left his job as National Democratic Party chairman to run for the seat. Allen was trying to reclaim the Senate seat he lost to Webb in 2006.
Another big race in Virginia included the 9th District race for the U.S. House of Representatives.
Incumbent Morgan Griffith won the seat against challenger Anthony Flaccavento.
- UPDATE: 29-year-old miner suffers several broken bones in Buchanan County
- Dozens disappointed after local legislators a no-show at meeting in Johnson City
- Crews will scale back the search effort for a missing man on South Holston Lake
- Democratic candidate for Virginia Governor discusses improving Southwest Virginia economy
- One person dead in Sunday morning car crash