Former Virginia governors Democrat Tim Kaine and Republican George Allen ran a heated and close senatorial campaign for months.
Kaine defeated Allen Tuesday night to replace Jim Webb in the US.. Senate.
Kaine left his job as National Democratic Party chairman to run for the seat. Allen was trying to reclaim the Senate seat he lost to Webb in 2006.
Another big race in Virginia included the 9th District race for the U.S. House of Representatives.
Incumbent Morgan Griffith won the seat against challenger Anthony Flaccavento.
- Police: Woman dead following shooting in Sullivan County
- Warrant issued, suspect at large in Washington County, Va. shooting
- Chelsea Clinton at Appalachian State Thursday for early voting event
- Bristol, Tenn. man receives 20 years on federal child porn charge
- Police: Roan Mountain fire fighter charged with arson