ROANOKE, Va. - A jury in Roanoke County, Virginia is awarding more than $5 million in damages to the family a construction worker killed in a chain-reaction crash.
The jury said earlier today that the two drivers convicted in the death of Richard Slone must pay $2 million in compensatory damages and $500,000 in punitive damages.
The defendants also must pay $10,000 in funeral expenses.
We've learned Jeffrey Dupree and Tracie Nininger were found guilty in 2008 of aggravated involuntary manslaughter and driving under the influence in Slone's death.
- Updated Three injured at Volusia Speedway Park when car crashes into stands
- Updated State Police: Man killed in Wise County, VA crash
- Former Derby, Preakness winner Charismatic dies
- Dozens disappointed after local legislators a no-show at meeting in Johnson City
- Crews will scale back the search effort for a missing man on South Holston Lake