ABINGDON, Va. - February is heart health month and employees at a local grocery store chain made a donation to a charity fighting to keep hearts healthy.
Food City workers donated more than $1,000 to the American Heart Association Thursday.
That money was raised by employees paying a dollar each time they wore blue jeans, along with buying candy bags.
We've learned this donation will help hearts in our region. "Eighty-two cents of every dollar that we receive is spent straight towards research and education. We fund several researchers here at ETSU, so tons of the money stays local," said Lauren Ladd with the American Heart Association.
We've learned this is the fourth year Food City employees have raised money for the American Heart Association.
- Local church group donating ‘Sensory Quilts' to nursing homes in Carter County
- Whitaker sentenced to 15 years in Jonesborough child abuse case
- People living in the Lynn Garden community feel unsafe after deadly shooting
- UPDATE: Carter Co. inmate back in custody
- McAuliffe awards $300,000 grant to Virginia Drone Project