ABINGDON, Va. - February is heart health month and employees at a local grocery store chain made a donation to a charity fighting to keep hearts healthy.
Food City workers donated more than $1,000 to the American Heart Association Thursday.
That money was raised by employees paying a dollar each time they wore blue jeans, along with buying candy bags.
We've learned this donation will help hearts in our region. "Eighty-two cents of every dollar that we receive is spent straight towards research and education. We fund several researchers here at ETSU, so tons of the money stays local," said Lauren Ladd with the American Heart Association.
We've learned this is the fourth year Food City employees have raised money for the American Heart Association.
- Abingdon Police investigating after a train hit a pedestrian
- Congressman Phil Roe is working on reforming the Affordable Care Act
- IN LIKE A LION: Potential for strong storms on Wednesday
- BMS and Buffalo Wild Wings host Daytona 500 watch parties in the Tri-Cities
- Police say man on drugs led officials on hour-long chase in Johnson City