RICHMOND, Va. - Defense lawyers in the federal corruption case against former Virginia Governor Bob McDonnell are planning to attack the motives of his wife's former Chief of Staff.
Mary Shea Sutherland was close enough to the former first couple that she held her wedding reception at the Governor's Mansion. But lawyers for Bob and Maureen McDonnell say in court filings that Sutherland was angling for a better paying job in the private sector.
The couple has pleaded not guilty to 14 counts of corruption after a lengthy federal investigation of his relationship with the former CEO of a dietary supplement maker. Prosecutors charged the McDonnells with accepting gifts and loans in exchange for helping promote his products.
The jury trial has been set for July 28th.
- Police: Woman dead following shooting in Sullivan County
- Warrant issued, suspect at large in Washington County, Va. shooting
- Chelsea Clinton at Appalachian State Thursday for early voting event
- Bristol, Tenn. man receives 20 years on federal child porn charge
- Police: Roan Mountain fire fighter charged with arson