RICHMOND, Va. - Defense lawyers in the federal corruption case against former Virginia Governor Bob McDonnell are planning to attack the motives of his wife's former Chief of Staff.
Mary Shea Sutherland was close enough to the former first couple that she held her wedding reception at the Governor's Mansion. But lawyers for Bob and Maureen McDonnell say in court filings that Sutherland was angling for a better paying job in the private sector.
The couple has pleaded not guilty to 14 counts of corruption after a lengthy federal investigation of his relationship with the former CEO of a dietary supplement maker. Prosecutors charged the McDonnells with accepting gifts and loans in exchange for helping promote his products.
The jury trial has been set for July 28th.
- Dolly Parton films final scenes at Dollywood for her new Christmas movie
- Bristol, Va. police officer, involved in domestic dispute, under investigation
- Officials ask public for help in search for escaped Washington Co., Tenn. inmate
- U.S. Marshals offering a reward for tips in the capture of Timothy England
- Former Kingsport armory coming down for commercial development