Federal investigators say they've uncovered a scheme that they say ripped off Alpha Natural Resources with false billings.
The mining Company is based in Abingdon, Virginia.
Fraud charges are being filed against Edward Ellis Mullins, Joey R. Phalin and Nicholas R. Coleman. Donald Bryan Steele was also charged today.
Prosecutors say they approached suppliers about providing cash and gifts to them and other Alpha employees.
The FBI says the plot concealed these transactions by having suppliers submit false invoices.
Alpha contacted the FBI after a tire supplier alerted it to the scheme in late 2011.
- Johnson City man found guilty of second degree murder
- Five people running for three seats on Johnson City Commission
- Weighing options for ambulance services in Hawkins County
- Animal shelter needs help with overcrowding, charging less for adoption
- Local firefighters had rare opportunity to train in a real life setting