The number of elk in the region is growing thanks to a restoration project that started in Buchanan County, Virginia earlier this year.
Between May and June, sixteen adult elk and four calves were released in Buchanan County.
We've learned since the release, more calves have been born. Officials with The Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries say some of the bulls have wandered up to seven miles away from the release location.
We've also learned the county officials haven't received any complaints about the elk.
- Updated One dead, one seriously injured in Smyth County hit-and-run
- Tri-Cities native auctioning off Battle at Bristol tickets to help Louisiana flood victims
- Kids learn from visit to Appalachian Fair
- Johnson County school kids process accident, victim worsens
- One person flown to hospital after bicycle and truck crash in Jonesborough