The number of elk in the region is growing thanks to a restoration project that started in Buchanan County, Virginia earlier this year.
Between May and June, sixteen adult elk and four calves were released in Buchanan County.
We've learned since the release, more calves have been born. Officials with The Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries say some of the bulls have wandered up to seven miles away from the release location.
We've also learned the county officials haven't received any complaints about the elk.
- Updated Bristol, Virginia scraps waterfall plan at the Falls
- New Kingsport hosts national gymnastics championship
- Updated Man and woman charged with attempted murder, kidnapping now on most wanted list
- Tennessee governor taking business recruiting trip to Europe
- Senate OKs bill to expand N. Carolina's 'revenge porn' law