HAMPTON ROADS, Va. - The driver of a tractor-trailer who was stuck inside the cab of her truck while it dangled from the Monitor-Merrimac Bridge tunnel in Newport News, Virginia has been rescued. Click here to view photos of the rescue.
Virginia State Police say the tractor-trailer went out of control on Interstate 664 and struck the bridge Monday morning. The truck caught fire and the cab was hanging over the bridge that connects Suffolk and Newport News in eastern Virginia.
State police say the driver suffered minor injuries.
State police shut down the southbound lanes due to large amounts of diesel fuel that was spilled during the crash.
- Updated Red carpet rolled out in Bristol for the movie premiere of 'Believe'
- Updated Rime ice caps area mountain tops just days after record highs
- Updated Hundreds supported breast cancer at Tri-Cities Race for the Cure
- Rabies vaccinations offered in Southwest Virginia
- Sports injury seminar aimed to teach coaches how to keep athletes healthy