The Virginia Department of Mines, Minerals and Energy is stepping up safety efforts just a week after a death in a Buchanan County mine.
DMME is working with mineral and coal miners across the Commonwealth to better prepare them for the jobs they must perform to help avoid accidents and injuries.
These health and safety efforts are being supported by a more than $268,000 grant from the Federal Mine Safety and Health Administration.
DMME plans to provide easier access to training materials.
Programs are being developed that can be accessed online. A mobile training unit will be purchased for mine safety training.
- Space Needle owner: Ticket sales going to employees, relief fund
- Dolly Foundation: More than 900 sign up for relief fund assistance
- UPDATE: Jonesborough triple murder suspect pleads guilty, receives life sentence
- Saturday is last day to donate to Food City / BMS Relief Fund for Sevier County
- Coeburn man pleads guilty to multiple burglaries