The Virginia Department of Mines, Minerals and Energy is stepping up safety efforts just a week after a death in a Buchanan County mine.
DMME is working with mineral and coal miners across the Commonwealth to better prepare them for the jobs they must perform to help avoid accidents and injuries.
These health and safety efforts are being supported by a more than $268,000 grant from the Federal Mine Safety and Health Administration.
DMME plans to provide easier access to training materials.
Programs are being developed that can be accessed online. A mobile training unit will be purchased for mine safety training.
- Two boys charged with reckless burning in Kingsport IGA fire
- Instantly healing technology tested on human in Kingsport
- Union High School Marching Bears performing in National Memorial Day Parade
- Red Onion inmate, D.C. sniper teen could get new trial
- Rock royalty in attendance as Chris Cornell is laid to rest in Hollywood