The Virginia Department of Mines, Minerals and Energy is stepping up safety efforts just a week after a death in a Buchanan County mine.
DMME is working with mineral and coal miners across the Commonwealth to better prepare them for the jobs they must perform to help avoid accidents and injuries.
These health and safety efforts are being supported by a more than $268,000 grant from the Federal Mine Safety and Health Administration.
DMME plans to provide easier access to training materials.
Programs are being developed that can be accessed online. A mobile training unit will be purchased for mine safety training.
- UPDATE: Item on Tweetsie Trail was geocaching box; trail to reopen
- UPDATE: Greene Co. Sheriff says missing teen could be in N.C.
- Updated Attorney for Black Lives Matter rally crasher issues statement
- New Man arrested for stabbing in Wise County
- Updated Highway Patrol to go door-to-door in I-81 shooter investigation