The Virginia Department of Mines, Minerals and Energy is stepping up safety efforts just a week after a death in a Buchanan County mine.
DMME is working with mineral and coal miners across the Commonwealth to better prepare them for the jobs they must perform to help avoid accidents and injuries.
These health and safety efforts are being supported by a more than $268,000 grant from the Federal Mine Safety and Health Administration.
DMME plans to provide easier access to training materials.
Programs are being developed that can be accessed online. A mobile training unit will be purchased for mine safety training.
- Johnson City Police cruisers damaged after hour-long car chase
- Police: Car plows into parade crowd in New Orleans; 12 hurt
- VA Gubernatorial Candidate campaigning in Southwest Virginia
- Mall at Johnson City full of race cars for season preview
- Final contract signed to transfer Sullivan North to Kingsport City Schools