DICKENSON COUNTY, Va. - (As released from Virginia State Police).
Virginia State Police are investigating a crash that resulted in a fatality Thursday night (July 10) in Dickenson County.
The incident occurred 8:15 p.m. at the Pound River Campground off of Route 754/Ramey Flats Road.
A 2009 Jeep Cherokee was pulling into a campsite when, according to witnesses, its accelerator stuck causing the Jeep to lurch forward out of control.
The Jeep struck a fire pit and then two women sitting in chairs near the brick fire pit.
The Jeep continued down to the Pound River where it struck a railing and plunged into the water.
Several individuals at the campground swam out to the sinking Jeep and rescued its driver.
The river is approximately 15 feet deep at that location.
One of the women struck by the Jeep, Norma Jean Kendrick, 60, of Clintwood, Va., died at the scene.
The other woman, Georgia Mullins, 61, of Clintwood, Va., was transported to Dickenson Hospital where she was treated and released for minor injuries.
The driver of the Jeep, a 62-year-old Clintwood woman, was flown by Virginia State Police Med-Flight helicopter to Bristol Regional Medical Center for treatment of life-threatening injuries.
No charges have been placed at this time, as the incident remains under investigation.
The Virginia State Police Wytheville Division's Accident Reconstruction Team is assisting with the investigation.
- New KPS Global completes $1M expansion in Piney Flats facility
- Exide Technologies withdraws application to reopen, News 5 uncovers dozens of violations in its past
- Southwest Virginia leaders focus on re-entry efforts for inmates
- Wise man who stole ginseng roots given probation
- UPDATE: Bristol assisted living worker pleads guilty to assaulting 94-year-old woman