DICKENSON COUNTY, Va. - The Dickenson County Sheriff's Office tells us a pellet gun was found at Ervinton Elementary School Wednesday morning.
According to a school resource officer, there was never a danger or a safety concern. We're told they did not put the school on lockdown because it would've caused a tremendous amount of unneeded alarm in this specific case.
The SRO said a student told staff a student had a gun. They say it was a pellet gun that was unloaded and the student did not have ammunition.
We're told charges are pending against that student, who was suspended until further notice.
The sheriff's office wanted to remind parents to check their children's backpacks and to keep all weapons locked up.
- New Bristol, Va. police officer, involved in domestic dispute, under investigation
- New Officials ask public for help in search for escaped Washington Co., Tenn. inmate
- U.S. Marshals offering a reward for tips in the capture of Timothy England
- Former Kingsport armory coming down for commercial development
- Lexington at Johnson City nursing home to close doors Oct. 31