DICKENSON COUNTY, Va. - The Dickenson County Sheriff's Office tells us a pellet gun was found at Ervinton Elementary School Wednesday morning.
According to a school resource officer, there was never a danger or a safety concern. We're told they did not put the school on lockdown because it would've caused a tremendous amount of unneeded alarm in this specific case.
The SRO said a student told staff a student had a gun. They say it was a pellet gun that was unloaded and the student did not have ammunition.
We're told charges are pending against that student, who was suspended until further notice.
The sheriff's office wanted to remind parents to check their children's backpacks and to keep all weapons locked up.
- Bristol, Va. firefighters post billboards ahead of public hearing
- Two boys charged with reckless burning in Kingsport IGA fire
- Instantly healing technology tested on human in Kingsport
- Union High School Marching Bears performing in National Memorial Day Parade
- Red Onion inmate, D.C. sniper teen could get new trial