DICKENSON COUNTY, Va. - The Dickenson County Sheriff's Office tells us a pellet gun was found at Ervinton Elementary School Wednesday morning.
According to a school resource officer, there was never a danger or a safety concern. We're told they did not put the school on lockdown because it would've caused a tremendous amount of unneeded alarm in this specific case.
The SRO said a student told staff a student had a gun. They say it was a pellet gun that was unloaded and the student did not have ammunition.
We're told charges are pending against that student, who was suspended until further notice.
The sheriff's office wanted to remind parents to check their children's backpacks and to keep all weapons locked up.
- Sheriff confirms murder in Unicoi County, TN
- School officials, parents discuss future of Weaver Elementary
- Unicoi County woman charged with first degree murder in Monday stabbing incident
- Bristol, TN taking steps to use drones in fire and police operations
- Trump supporters and protesters rally in downtown Abingdon