DICKENSON COUNTY, Va. - Two schools in Dickenson County will be closing at 11:45 due to a power outage.
The two schools that are closing are Clintwood High School and Longs Fork Middle School due to a power outage.
American Electric Power told News 5 the power outage was caused by a tree that fell on a 69,000-volt tap at the Clintwood station.
At one point 5,000 customers were without power. At last check just over 2,000 customers were in the dark in Clintwood, the town of Wise, and Wise County.
AEP says most customers should by power by 2:00 p.m. The rest will be restored this evening.
- UPDATE: 29-year-old miner suffers several broken bones in Buchanan County
- Dozens disappointed after local legislators a no-show at meeting in Johnson City
- Crews will scale back the search effort for a missing man on South Holston Lake
- Democratic candidate for Virginia Governor discusses improving Southwest Virginia economy
- One person dead in Sunday morning car crash