The deadline to qualify for a run for the 38th District Virginia Senate seat is 5:00 p.m. Friday.
That is the seat vacated by Phil Puckett earlier this month.
Thursday night in Tazewell, the GOP selected attorney Ben Chafin to run for that office. He will run against the Democratic nominee, Tazewell County Board of Supervisors member Mike Hymes.
The special election is set for August 19th.
- VA Gubernatorial Candidate campaigning in Southwest Virginia
- Mall at Johnson City full of race cars for season preview
- Final contract signed to transfer Sullivan North to Kingsport City Schools
- Gov. amends SWVa. lawmaker's bill to raise fine for driving slowly in left lane
- Neighbors propose traffic mural for Johnson City Tree Streets