If you're interested in spending time in natural preserves or state parks, the Virginia Department of Conservation and Recreation is looking for you. The department needs volunteers as part of its "Days to Serve" initiative. It takes place Wednesday through September 28th in four natural preserves and all 36 state parks.
Volunteers will participate in service projects. Special programs, shoreline, trail and park cleanups give volunteers opportunities to enjoy the outdoors while also giving back.
You can find a complete list of events in Virginia state parks on the Virginia State Parks calendar page http://go.usa.gov/D8zk.
- UPDATE: 29-year-old miner suffers several broken bones in Buchanan County
- Dozens disappointed after local legislators a no-show at meeting in Johnson City
- Crews will scale back the search effort for a missing man on South Holston Lake
- Democratic candidate for Virginia Governor discusses improving Southwest Virginia economy
- One person dead in Sunday morning car crash