If you're interested in spending time in natural preserves or state parks, the Virginia Department of Conservation and Recreation is looking for you. The department needs volunteers as part of its "Days to Serve" initiative. It takes place Wednesday through September 28th in four natural preserves and all 36 state parks.
Volunteers will participate in service projects. Special programs, shoreline, trail and park cleanups give volunteers opportunities to enjoy the outdoors while also giving back.
You can find a complete list of events in Virginia state parks on the Virginia State Parks calendar page http://go.usa.gov/D8zk.
- Updated Dolly Parton films final scenes at Dollywood for her new Christmas movie
- New Bristol, Va. police officer, involved in domestic dispute, under investigation
- New Officials ask public for help in search for escaped Washington Co., Tenn. inmate
- U.S. Marshals offering a reward for tips in the capture of Timothy England
- Former Kingsport armory coming down for commercial development