DICKENSON COUNTY, Va. - Statement from CSX:
At approximately 10 am today (3-23-13), a train enroute from Hamlet, North Carolina, to Russell, Kentucky, with two locomotives and 64 freight cars derailed in Haysi, Virginia. A total of 18 cars are derailed. There are no reported injuries or evacuations. One of the cars contained propionic acid, a corrosive material used in a variety of purposes, including in herbicides, preservatives for grain and woodchips, and mold inhibitors for bread. This is the only car reported to be leaking. Another car previously carried a load of sodium hydroxide. Four cars are reported to be in the Russell Fork River. It does not appear that any of the propionic acid entered the river.
CSX is working closely with state and local emergency responders and environmental officials. Crews are enroute to address the hazardous materials cars and to clear the derailment.
The first concern for CSX is protecting the safety of the public and the emergency responders. The cause is under investigation.
- ETSU student charged following gorilla mask incident at Black Lives Matter protest
- Carter County deputy, former 'Southern Justice' star, charged with murder
- ETSU administration quickly organizes meeting to start conversations about race
- Recovery action walk raises awareness in Wise County
- Police searching for kidnapping suspect