JOHNSON CITY, Tenn. - The recent rains are slowing repairs on a closed section of the Virginia Creeper Trail.
The U.S. Forest service closed three miles of the trail back in April after rain and snow over the winter created a safety hazard on one part of the trail.
Officials had hoped to have the trail re-opened by this weekend, but a forest service spokeswoman said this morning crews have only been able to complete about half of the needed repairs.
Because of the weather, there is no indication when the repairs will be completed.
Officials say 14-miles of the trail is still open.
- Hawkins Co. commission halfway to $40 wheel tax increase
- VA Coal and Energy Alliance Conference: Industry leaders optimistic about coal rebound
- McAuliffe announces millions for 'green' overhaul in Russell Co. Schools
- UPDATE: Former regional jail guards indicted for contraband, bribes
- Letter: Flynn cites 'public frenzy,' invokes 5th Amendment