RICHMOND, Va. - The cost for college continues to rise, but News 5 learned the extra spending is not on instruction in the Commonwealth.
A study released Monday by the Joint Legislative Audit and Review Commission of the General Assembly shows student housing, intercollegiate athletics and other expenses are driving up the costs at Virginia public universities.
The cost of a college degree has out-paced increases in family income and health care costs.
The average student loan is now nearly $10,000 a year.
- Tri-Cities native auctioning off Battle at Bristol tickets to help Louisiana flood victims
- Kids learn from visit to Appalachian Fair
- Johnson County school kids process accident, victim worsens
- One person flown to hospital after bicycle and truck crash in Jonesborough
- Job fair scheduled for Wednesday in Erwin