RICHMOND, Va. - The cost for college continues to rise, but News 5 learned the extra spending is not on instruction in the Commonwealth.
A study released Monday by the Joint Legislative Audit and Review Commission of the General Assembly shows student housing, intercollegiate athletics and other expenses are driving up the costs at Virginia public universities.
The cost of a college degree has out-paced increases in family income and health care costs.
The average student loan is now nearly $10,000 a year.
- Death toll from Sevier County wildfires increases to 14
- Updated Comptroller critical of Washington County, TN Sheriff's Office
- Kingsport man wanted for violent attack on female victim and cat
- Police searching for man suspected in 2 Kingsport burglaries
- Police: Fake news story led gunman to popular DC pizzeria