RICHMOND, Va. - The cost for college continues to rise, but News 5 learned the extra spending is not on instruction in the Commonwealth.
A study released Monday by the Joint Legislative Audit and Review Commission of the General Assembly shows student housing, intercollegiate athletics and other expenses are driving up the costs at Virginia public universities.
The cost of a college degree has out-paced increases in family income and health care costs.
The average student loan is now nearly $10,000 a year.
- Local church group donating ‘Sensory Quilts' to nursing homes in Carter County
- Whitaker sentenced to 15 years in Jonesborough child abuse case
- People living in the Lynn Garden community feel unsafe after deadly shooting
- UPDATE: Carter Co. inmate back in custody
- McAuliffe awards $300,000 grant to Virginia Drone Project