BUCHANAN COUNTY, Va. - A former volunteer firefighter in Southwest Virginia is now facing felony arson charges.
The Virginia Department of Forestry charged 19-year-old Shane Rife with starting the 375-acre airport mountain fire and the 65-acre spruce pine fires last month in Buchanan County.
Authorities say he was a member of the Grundy Fire Department for less than a year and is no longer a member of the department.
- Johnson City woman forces her way into occupied motel room
- Lightening strikes BVU sub station in North Bristol, 3,700 customers without power
- Thousands of flags placed on veterans' graves for Memorial day
- Foreign suspect sends bomb threat by fax to Meadowview Center in Kingsport
- Elizabethton Police investigating toddler's death