BUCHANAN COUNTY, Va. - A former volunteer firefighter in Southwest Virginia is now facing felony arson charges.
The Virginia Department of Forestry charged 19-year-old Shane Rife with starting the 375-acre airport mountain fire and the 65-acre spruce pine fires last month in Buchanan County.
Authorities say he was a member of the Grundy Fire Department for less than a year and is no longer a member of the department.
- ETSU student charged following gorilla mask incident at Black Lives Matter protest
- Carter County deputy, former 'Southern Justice' star, charged with murder
- New Southwest VA school gets national recognition
- New Vance Middle School receives big honor
- New Joe Lasher Jr. playing benefit concert for Second Harvest