BUCHANAN COUNTY, Va. - A woman from Big Rock, Virginia will spend ten years in prison after being found guilty of conspiracy to commit robbery.
Commonwealth's Attorney Gerald Arrington said on on November 23, 2011, David Gilbert and his 29-year-old girlfriend, Laura Click, conspired to hold up Leroy Shortridge, who is related to Click.
During the attempted robbery Arrington alleges Gilbert hit Shortridge in the head with a blunt object. Shortridge later died.
Click later came forward to help authorities in their homicide investigation.
As a result of Click's assistance, Gilbert was later charged and convicted of murder in Shortridge's death and sentenced to serve 30 years in prison.
At the conclusion of Click's plea hearing, Arrington stated that, "it was important to us to be able to solve this case and bring closure to Shortridge's family. As a result of Click's assistance, we were able to bring a murderer to justice. That being said, although Click's information and testimony was invaluable, I could not ignore the significance of her crime. She helped plan the robbery and therefore, must answer for her role in this tragedy. As a result, she will spend the next 10 years in prison."
- Kingsport native identified as victim in Washington state mall shooting
- Local donors, recipients talk about impact of organ and tissue donation
- Bristol Virginia council votes to borrow another three million for The Falls
- Officials hope to get more millennials voting in this presidential election
- Local mental health court to soon hit major milestone