BUCHANAN COUNTY, Va. - A Buchanan County, Virginia man has been sentenced to life behind bars.
The Buchanan County Commonwealth's Attorney says a judge sentenced 62-year-old Donald Young to life in prison for first degree murder Thursday.
In July, Young was convicted of the murder of Danny Paul Justus back in June of 2011.
We've learned trial testimony revealed Young was the next-door neighbor to Justus.
Other neighbors say the night of the murder, they heard a gunshot and found Justus lying on the edge of the road. Attorneys say Young admitted to shooting Justus but said it was done in self defense.
We've learned it took the jury only 30 minutes to return a guilty verdict.
Young was also convicted and sentenced to three years in prison for the use of a firearm in the commission of murder.
- Kingsport police searching for five sex offenders
- Updated Endangered Child Alert issued for 13-year-old girl
- Updated Volvo recalls 44K vehicles; leak can cause air bag problem
- New Fundraiser and concert to be held for John Battle coach who has brain cancer
- Updated UPDATE: Elizabethon police identify suspect in credit card theft case