BUCHANAN COUNTY, Va. - A Buchanan County, Virginia man has been sentenced to life behind bars.
The Buchanan County Commonwealth's Attorney says a judge sentenced 62-year-old Donald Young to life in prison for first degree murder Thursday.
In July, Young was convicted of the murder of Danny Paul Justus back in June of 2011.
We've learned trial testimony revealed Young was the next-door neighbor to Justus.
Other neighbors say the night of the murder, they heard a gunshot and found Justus lying on the edge of the road. Attorneys say Young admitted to shooting Justus but said it was done in self defense.
We've learned it took the jury only 30 minutes to return a guilty verdict.
Young was also convicted and sentenced to three years in prison for the use of a firearm in the commission of murder.
- New UPDATE: Former regional jail guards indicted for contraband, bribes
- New Letter: Flynn cites 'public frenzy,' invokes 5th Amendment
- Bristol Spruce-Up: Deadline approaching for Neighborhood Grant program
- Report: Synthetic drug dealer from Pound gets 3.5 years in jail
- U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary offers vessel safety inspections