EMPORIA, Va. - A search for a missing Greensville County deputy sheriff has ended with the discovery of his body in a creek.
Media outlets report that a dive team found 52-year-old Percy Lee House III dead inside his car Saturday morning. Virginia State Police are investigating, but officials say his car apparently skidded off an icy road into a creek.
House, who was last seen in the Greensville County town of Skippers, last made contact with the sheriff's office about 9:24 a.m. Friday. The office alerted other law enforcement agencies to be on the lookout for House that afternoon.
Sheriff James Edwards called House's death "tragic and unexpected."
- Kidnapping suspect still on the run, after statewide AMBER Alert is canceled
- Lightning strikes BVU sub station in North Bristol, 3,700 customers without power
- Johnson City woman forces her way into occupied motel room
- Thousands of flags placed on veterans' graves for Memorial day
- Foreign suspect sends bomb threat by fax to Meadowview Center in Kingsport