Appalachian Sustainable Development received $50,000 from Newman's Own Foundation.
The focus of the grant will be in three locations: Buchanan, Dickenson and Lee Counties.
The organization says it will use the money to increase the consumption of fresh, healthy foods. That includes teaching people how to grow, preserve and market their own food.
- Johnson City woman forces her way into occupied motel room
- Lightening strikes BVU sub station in North Bristol, 3,700 customers without power
- Thousands of flags placed on veterans' graves for Memorial day
- Foreign suspect sends bomb threat by fax to Meadowview Center in Kingsport
- Elizabethton Police investigating toddler's death