BRISTOL, Va. - Virginia Intermont College plans to merge with Florida-based Webber International University.
According to a news release put out Friday, the merger would be effective in July 2014.
The U.S. Department of Education, the State Council of Higher Education, and the Colleges & Schools Commission on Colleges still needs to approve the merger.
Virginia Intermont lost their SACS accreditation in 2013, but then had it restored while they worked out a plan to keep operating. Click here to read more.
- UPDATE: 29-year-old miner suffers several broken bones in Buchanan County
- Updated Dozens disappointed after local legislators a no-show at meeting in Johnson City
- Crews will scale back the search effort for a missing man on South Holston Lake
- Democratic candidate for Virginia Governor discusses improving Southwest Virginia economy
- One person dead in Sunday morning car crash