ABINGDON, Va. - One of the biggest Medicaid fraud settlements ever, is bringing millions to Virginia and Tennessee.
We found out settlement money from the Abbot Laboratories case has now been distributed.
As part of a plea agreement, the company has agreed to pay $1.5 billion over allegations that it promoted the anti-seizure drug Depakote as medicine to control dementia and other disorders.
Today Virginia was awarded $2.6 million in damages, which is being split between Smyth and Tazewell counties.
Tennessee is expected to receive just under $2 million as well.
- Updated Thousands of flags placed on veterans' graves for Memorial day
- Foreign suspect sends bomb threat by fax to Meadowview Center in Kingsport
- Elizabethton Police investigating toddler's death
- Bristol, Va. firefighters post billboards ahead of public hearing
- Two boys charged with reckless burning in Kingsport IGA fire