BRISTOL, Va. - Strongwell Corporation in Bristol, Va had to be evacuated Thursday due to a vapor release. One person was taken to the hospital.
Fire Chief J.C. Bolling tells News 5 that organic peroxide, which is used to make products at the facility, overheated and released vapors.
The chemical is normally stored in a freezer, but the freezer stopped working, causing the chemical to heat up.
Three employees were exposed to the vapor and had to be decontaminated. One was taken to the hospital.
All employees were evacuated from the building. There was no word on when they will be allowed back inside as of Thursday morning.
The Department of Emergency Management is on the scene.
We'll continue to follow the situation and bring you new facts as we get them.
- Kidnapping suspect still on the run, after statewide AMBER Alert is canceled
- Lightning strikes BVU sub station in North Bristol, 3,700 customers without power
- Johnson City woman forces her way into occupied motel room
- Thousands of flags placed on veterans' graves for Memorial day
- Foreign suspect sends bomb threat by fax to Meadowview Center in Kingsport