BRISTOL, Va. -

Two people are recovering Saturday morning after an apartment fire in Bristol, Virginia.

Bristol, Virginia Fire Chief JC Bolling tells us the incident happened around 2 a.m. Saturday at the Springdale Village Apartments. Bolling says the fire started after a person living in one of those apartments tried to light a cigarette while on medical oxygen.

We're told paramedics took him to Bristol Regional Medical Center for treatment of second-degree burns. Another person also went to the hospital for reported breathing trouble.

Fire officials want people to be aware of the danger of smoking while using medical oxygen. We're told the extra oxygen creates a more flammable environment.