ABINGDON, Va. - Two people are now facing murder charges after the death of a toddler.
We've learned the toddler's mother and her live-in boyfriend are now charged with second degree murder.
Two-year-old Madison Snead died last November. Now Madison's mother, 25-year-old Sarah Louise Snead, and her live-in boyfriend, 23-year-old Silas Edward McCracken III, are charged with second degree murder. Chief Tony Sullivan with the Abingdon Police Department tells us the investigation revealed McCracken wrapped the toddler in three blankets and sat on the child's chest until she stopped moving.
We're told Snead admitted to helping McCracken and did not seek medical help for the little girl.
Here are more facts according to Captain Sullivan -- he says autopsy results showed Madison died from suffocation, along with previous signs of abuse. If convicted, both Snead and McCracken could face between five and 40 years behind bars.
- New Person of interest identified in Washington County, Va. shooting
- Local overcrowded animal shelter fighting to avoid euthanasia
- More law enforcement agencies in our region looking to carry a lifesaving drug
- Norton clinic improving health for black lung patients
- Lowe's Heroes Project making improvements to Cherokee Elementary School