BRISTOL, Va. - A dozen women from across the region got a special thanks from the community on Thursday night.
The Bristol YWCA held their annual Tribute to Women awards banquet at the Holiday Inn in Bristol, Va.
They honored 12 women for their work in one of four different fields including arts, education, business and volunteer work.
Sandra Willis received one of the volunteer awards for her service as a board member for Family Promise of Bristol. She told us she's humbled by the honor.
"It feels really good and I think it's just so wonderful that we have women who are willing to reach out and help others," said Willis.
We're told about 300 people attended the event, which was also a fundraiser for YWCA programs.
They hoped to raise about $80,000, according to organizers.
- Hawkins Co. commission halfway to $40 wheel tax increase
- VA Coal and Energy Alliance Conference: Industry leaders optimistic about coal rebound
- McAuliffe announces millions for 'green' overhaul in Russell Co. Schools
- UPDATE: Former regional jail guards indicted for contraband, bribes
- Letter: Flynn cites 'public frenzy,' invokes 5th Amendment