TRAFFIC ALERT: Only one lane in each direction is open on I-81 near mile marker 80: Fort Chiswell / Max Meadows in Wythe County, Virginia.
Emergency crews are working on cleaning up a valeric acid spill after a truck overturned around 3 p.m., Wednesday. The Virginia Department of Emergency Management estimates 4,000 gallons of acid spilled on the road.
A spokesperson confirms the spill is contained. There is no contamination to any nearby waterway.
VDEM adds traffic is backed up for five miles in each direction.
Bristol, Virginia fire department's HAZMAT team is assisting in the clean-up. Crews expect to be at the scene through the morning.
VSP is handling an investigation into the cause of the crash.
- Virginia Creeper Trail blazing the path for economic growth in Damascus
- UPDATE: Johnson City woman gets 25 years for rape of a child
- Fallen Las Vegas officer's message: "I've been called home"
- Recovery drug court holds graduation ceremony
- THP searching for driver charged in fatal Washington County, TN crash