This month is National Parks and Recreation Month.
To celebrate the Johnson City Parks and Recreation Department has activities for young and old. Basketball camp is one of the most popular events for kids.
After a week of hard work on the court the kids were rewarded with a day at the pool. Parks and Recreation officials say introducing kids to sports can help them out down the road.
"This gives kids an opportunity to play basketball a little bit, and then they can decide on their own if they'd like to pursue it in the future, get into an organized league," said Arrow Dawson with the Johnson City Parks and Recreation Department.
The Parks and Recreation Month events continue Saturday with "Let's Get Our Play On" at Memorial Park Community Center on Saturday July 15.
There will be games and a movie night.
- Kingsport Fire Dept. mobile units help FunFest goers beat the heat
- Ohio mother who lost daughter to drug overdose travels country, stops in Bristol
- BVU's Optinet employees attend board meeting to voice concerns
- Man charged following pursuit in Washington County, Virginia
- Police in search of burglars caught on camera