Virginia Highlands Festival named a 'top 10 summer festival '
The Virginia Highlands Festival has been named one of the Top 10 Summer Festivals 2013 by Livability.com, a national website that ranks quality of life and travel amenities of America’s small and mid-sized cities.
For the 2013 list, Livability.com editors looked for those summer festivals most connected to their host cities' identities in terms of theme, the experiences to be had and community participation.
Editors also factored in a city’s other tourist attractions and amenities that can enhance the itineraries of festival-goers.
“The best summer festivals, neighborhood celebrations and even block parties bring communities together and showcase the characteristics that make their cities unique,” said Matt Carmichael, Livability.com Editor and Spokesman. “Festivals are a great time to unite residents and show off for visitors.”
The Virginia Highlands Festival, which originated on the front porch of the Martha Washington Inn in 1949, showcases the beauty, history and cultural amenities of Abingdon, VA.
During this 10-day festival, Appalachian artisans and craftsmen, food vendors, performers, and historical re-enactors fill the city's historic downtown streets, and community organizations use the festival to highlight their causes, raise money and celebrate the work they've done through a series of sponsored events.
Top 10 Summer Festivals 2013
1. Cheyenne Frontier Days - Cheyenne, WY
2. Portland Rose Festival - Portland, OR
3. Virginia Highlands Festival - Abingdon, VA
4. AthFest Music & Arts Festival - Athens, GA
5. Central Pennsylvania Festival of the Arts - State College, PA
6. CMA Music Festival - Nashville, TN
7. Mudbug Madness Festival - Shreveport, LA
8. Strolling of the Heifers - Brattleboro, VT
9. Papillion Days - Papillion, NE
10. Sweet Pea Festival - Bozeman, MT
Copyright © 2014 by WCYB. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.