ASHEVILLE, N.C. -

Tests have confirmed an outbreak of the norovirus at an Asheville elementary school.

The Asheville Citizen-Times reported that city officials are worried the virus has spread to Asheville High School. Officials said more than 160 students were absent or left school early Tuesday.

School spokesman Charlie Glazener said typically fewer than 100 students would be sick.

Testing confirmed the sickness that affected students and staff last week at Isaac Dickson Elementary was norovirus. Officials say more than 140 students were sick last Friday. On a typical day, only about two dozen students are sick.

Glazener said it appears the virus is spreading.