BRISTOL, Tenn. - There is renewed hope for those who want wine sold in Tennessee grocery stores.
Food City President and CEO Steve Smith spoke to News 5 WCYB Thursday in Bristol, Virginia and says he has the support of the Tennessee Grocers and Convenience Store Association. Smith and the TGCSA think 2014 could be the year for legislation that would open the door for wine sales.
Smith tells News 5 there's plenty of public support. He also says his stores have proven over the years they're a responsible vendor of beer and he says they can be a responsible vendor of wine as well.
The new bill is expected to come up in the Tennessee legislature early next year.
- Historic U.S. Army recruitment effort increase underway
- More sponsors for measure to repeal HB2, keep restrictions
- West Virginia Senate would penalize sharing explicit images
- Authorities investigating Carter County pharmacy armed robbery
- Tennessee man faces negligent homicide charge in toddler's death