A California man convicted in March of beating and hog-tying his ex-wife in her Jonesborough home has been sentenced to 12 years in prison.
Judge Lisa Rice handed down the sentence to Luis Olivera, 42, during proceedings held Friday in Washington County, TN Criminal Court for charges of aggravated kidnapping and aggravated assault.
The couple's child hid in the closet while Olivera attacked his ex-wife, bounding her ankles and wrists with zip-ties and a placing rope around her neck. The child was able to call 911 to get help for his mother.
A medical official testified that the victim now suffers from post traumatic stress disorder and does not remember much about the December incident.
Olivera was captured three days later by U.S. Marshals in Memphis.
- Smyth County animal shelter temporarily shutting down
- Kingsport Police arrest man wanted in multiple cities
- Scott County students receive shoes and socks from Rotary Club Shoe Fund
- Union's James Mitchell commits to Virginia Tech
- Sullivan County dispatcher honored for successful baby delivery over the phone