UNICOI COUNTY, Tenn. - Unicoi County Memorial Hospital is under new ownership tonight following more than a year of debate over which local health care company would purchase it.
The hospital officially joined Mountain States Health Alliance Friday morning following the Tennessee Attorney General's decision to not take any action regarding the sale.
Hospital administrator Tracy Byers tells us Unicoi Memorial was running out of options. "I think the hospital was at the point that they had to do something. It's getting near-impossible in 2013 for an independent hospital to survive going forward with all the changes in healthcare reform."
Unicoi County Memorial Hospital becomes the 14th hospital in Mountain States Health Alliance.
The hospital also brings a long-term care unit, which is the second facility of its kind to be part of Mountain States.
- New 2-year-old drowns in North Carolina swimming pool
- New South Dakota teen with cancer gets OK to walk at graduation
- 2 juveniles charged in former Kingsport IGA building fire
- New resource plans to help mothers bearing drug addicted babies in Tri-Cities
- Many busy picking up the pieces after severe storms strike our region