UNICOI COUNTY, Tenn. - The Unicoi County Sheriff's Department says an inmate is accused of starting a fire in a cell block at the county jail.
Sheriff Mike Hensley says it happened around 7:30 Tuesday night. Jail officials smelled smoke and called the Erwin Fire Department.
In the meantime, the jail's sprinkler system was activated, which put out the fire, but also flooded a section of the jail and the 911 center.
Jerry D Blevins, a 26-year-old inmate, is facing felony arson charges and 16 counts of reckless endangerment. The Sheriff's Department says those charges are because of the other inmates in the cell block.
- Updated U.S. Marshals offering a reward for tips in the capture of Timothy England
- Former Kingsport armory coming down for commercial development
- Lexington at Johnson City nursing home to close doors Oct. 31
- Tennessee's Education Commissioner visits local schools
- Medical treatment of accused Volunteer Parkway shooter burdensome