UNICOI COUNTY, Tenn. - The Unicoi County Sheriff's Department says an inmate is accused of starting a fire in a cell block at the county jail.
Sheriff Mike Hensley says it happened around 7:30 Tuesday night. Jail officials smelled smoke and called the Erwin Fire Department.
In the meantime, the jail's sprinkler system was activated, which put out the fire, but also flooded a section of the jail and the 911 center.
Jerry D Blevins, a 26-year-old inmate, is facing felony arson charges and 16 counts of reckless endangerment. The Sheriff's Department says those charges are because of the other inmates in the cell block.
- Ceremony honors female veterans at Mountain Home National Cemetery
- Johnson City Memorial Day ceremony goes off without hitch, despite stolen flags
- Mountain Home National Cemetery honoring fallen service members on Memorial Day
- Free meals for children in Kingsport begin Tuesday
- Police: Man fired AK-47 from car while driving down highway