ERWIN, Tenn. - A three-and-a-half hour standoff with police ended with an Erwin Tennessee man facing first degree kidnapping charges.
Authorities with the Mitchell County, North Carolina Sheriff's Office say they found 32-year-old John Hampton, Jr. at a residence in Spruce Pine Thursday.
Authorities say when they went inside; Hampton was holding 22-year-old Mercedes Potts, also from Erwin, at gunpoint.
A three-and-a-half hour standoff followed. Officers say they were eventually able to get a clean shot on Hampton, shooting him in the face.
Hampton is now recovering in the hospital. The hostage was not hurt.
We're told more charges are pending.
- UPDATE: 29-year-old miner suffers several broken bones in Buchanan County
- Dozens of vendors showcase businesses at Home and Garden Show in Johnson City
- Volunteer regional crews assisting in search for Matt Ragan on South Holston Lake
- ‘Polar Plunge for Christ' raises money to prevent teen suicide
- MSHA, Wellmont address merger application delays, what's next