ERWIN, Tenn. - A three-and-a-half hour standoff with police ended with an Erwin Tennessee man facing first degree kidnapping charges.
Authorities with the Mitchell County, North Carolina Sheriff's Office say they found 32-year-old John Hampton, Jr. at a residence in Spruce Pine Thursday.
Authorities say when they went inside; Hampton was holding 22-year-old Mercedes Potts, also from Erwin, at gunpoint.
A three-and-a-half hour standoff followed. Officers say they were eventually able to get a clean shot on Hampton, shooting him in the face.
Hampton is now recovering in the hospital. The hostage was not hurt.
We're told more charges are pending.
- Updated Fire in Abingdon sends man to hospital
- School board picks plan for new Boone's Creek school, discusses redistricting issue
- Is the election stressing you out? You're not alone.
- Avoca community rallies for girl's Diabetes service dog
- Court: Greeneville bank manager embezzled more than $1 million