UNICOI COUNTY, Tenn. - Police say texting is what lead to a crash in Unicoi County Sunday evening.
According to Tennessee Highway Patrol it happened just before 5:30 near the Washington County line.
THP says a 23-year-old male driver looked away from the road at his cell phone for a text message when the car went off the road and over an embankment, hitting several trees along the way.
The driver was flown to the hospital. There's no word on his condition.
For a short time State Route 81 was closed because of the crash, but it is now open.
Tennessee Highway Patrol is investigating the crash.
- Updated VA Coal and Energy Alliance Conference: Industry leaders optimistic about coal rebound
- McAuliffe announces millions for 'green' overhaul in Russell Co. Schools
- UPDATE: Former regional jail guards indicted for contraband, bribes
- Letter: Flynn cites 'public frenzy,' invokes 5th Amendment
- Bristol Spruce-Up: Deadline approaching for Neighborhood Grant program